Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Enemies to the Public....Viewing







Ok I saw "Public Enemies" last night at 12. Right now its 10 in the morning and I still have not slept.... maybe because the film was so awful. I was really amped to see this film, as I feel Depp can really do no wrong. I love gangster films and the story of Dillinger was already cool to begin with. So what wrong? The film honestly feels like an incomplete rough cut. It is shot digitally on HD over film and looks like someone's bad home movie. The cinematography is awkward and the transition between scenes leaves you scratching your head. On top of that, the characters are unlikable and one dimensional, the cops (the antagonists I guess) are as dumb as could possibly be, and Christian Bale delivers one of the worst acting performances of all time channeling a charisma-less William Shatner. For a while I felt like I was watching Looney Tunes with Depp playing Bugs Bunny and the cops Elmer Fudd. This rings especially true when Depp, (who is at this point the most wanted man in America) casually walks himself on a tour of the police station and then asks the unsuspecting cops the score of the baseball game. I was expecting him to say, "Ahhh.... Whats Up Doc?"

I read mixed reviews of this film, and just read a NY Times review calling the film genius. I don't get it. Everyone I went with hated hated hated the film, people were routinely walking out of the theatre, a guy behind me was snoring, and midway thru a guy in the back started to loudly freestyle rap (no joke). So many scenes and lines of dialogue are so unintentionally funny that I literally burst out loud laughing. So in closing if I had to describe this film in one word it would have to be the F word... F-U-C-K.  That is the first word I uttered when the credits rolled on the screen. 



No comments: