Thursday, April 16, 2009

4.16.09

So I just got back from my first expedition to Shea Stadium #2 (Citi  Field). While I was sitting and watching the game while eating fried calamari it hit me that this is a whole new ballpark. Citi Field is basically the anti Shea. Shea was a place where you wanted to be sitting in your seat. When you had to get a snack you would rush as soon as possible through the dark tunnels, with only the sounds of the audience to tell you what was happening. In New Shea you never want to be in your seat. You want to be walking around, eating this, looking at this, standing by this bar, standing in the coke area, talking that shit. You can see the game perfectly from no matter where you are, and there are huge open areas with tables and the such for hanging out.

Eating at old Shea was not encouraged. It was the last option for someone dying of starvation. At New Shea eating is the primary goal. Its like being in a giant food court with baseball being played in the background. I must have gained 5 pounds in this one night. Heres a list of what I ate...

slice of Pepperoni Pizza - much better then it should have been. I could've told you it was from a regular pizza place and you wouldnt think twice

Grandma slice on whole wheat - really good. One of the better foods.

Fried Calamari - actually not bad... a little spicy but enjoyable

Shrimp sandwich - my friend had this and I took a bite. Don't get this.

Pulled Pork Sandwich - Really good.

Spare Ribs - Probably the best thing to get.

Overall the new stadium is amazing, and people complaining about it are just people who love to complain. Its much more of a party atmosphere and not a hardcore baseball stadium like Shea was.... it also doesn't have the character of Shea and I dont really see it ever gaining that.

No comments: