Wednesday, January 03, 2018

"I, Tonya" Review





I've been hearing a ton about this movie.... mostly praise. Even Oscar talk for Margot Robbie. She is great in the role... proving to be more then a pretty face and blonde bombshell, she has range.

My problem with this film is the script. It's a dark comedy and most of the jokes fall flat or rely simply on profanity. Even the forbidden word, "cunt", gets thrown around so much it loses any impact. Tonya's Mother seems like a character whose dialogue solely consists of various curses to try and shock the audience.

The biggest flaw with this movie is every single character is despicable. They have no redeeming qualities.... they start off as pieces of shit and end as pieces of shit. They try to make Tonya sympathetic mostly by showing her get physically assaulted. It is impactful the first time but after seeing her get hit for the ninth time you become desensitized.  

I remember this incident playing out in real time. The thing I found the most interesting was the contrast between Tonya Harding (white trash, tough upbringing) and Nancy Kerrigan (americas princess, Snow White). This dichotomy to me was the most interesting part of this whole debacle. It was disappointing that Kerrigan appears for about 5 minutes total in the whole film.

They also break the fourth wall a ton in this movie and speak directly to the audience. It kind of feel very Scorsese-ish.... "Wolf of Wall Street" even. I don't feel it worked.

I will give this film a 1.5 out of 4 stars.... very disappointing. 

No comments: