Friday, November 07, 2008

11.7.08



I was just thinking about something today.... When I was watching the election coverage the other day, there was a black women, and they asked her why she voted for Obama. She was very blunt, and said she voted for him because he is black. Thats cool, at least shes honest. The main reason I voted for him is because he is a smoker. Ok... I'm lying... I didn't actually vote. *gasp* What the hell was I talking about? Oh yeah.... Now imagine if they interviewed some white guy and asked him why he voted for McCain. What if he replied, "Because he is white." He would be labeled as a racist. The question I have is this... is it possible to have white pride and not be considered a racist?

Now I understand, the whites are not the minority and we have not faced suppression, so we don't have that underdog/stick together mentality. But when it comes to basketball and boxing, we are the minority. I'm not ashamed to admit that the main reason I root for David Lee on the Knicks is because he is white. A good white basketball player in the NBA is a rarity, and I feel proud of him being a fellow white man. I don't think this is racist, it is important to be proud of what you are... wether it be white, black, latino, native american or even... a JEW! Its just that it seems white pride is always immediatly associated with racism. And then looking back on it, I realized that I just love rooting for an underdog. The white guy in basketball, a black guy in hockey, a native american in baseball (yes they have tho).

I'm actually feeling really good about Obama being elected. A lot of people just seem to be happier, and people are feeling good about this country again. I see flags everywhere and the rise of patriotism.. real patriotism, not that god awful fake shit that occurred after 9/11. With the election of Obama I really feel the world view of America has changed for the positive. America is now cool and hip, not run by some dumb hick.

And this election might actually help to ease up racism. I would like to see it gone for good, but that can never realistically happen. However I feel this is a step in the right direction. It's funny to me, that someone can hate some one based just on the color of their skin. Its like buying a bag of M&M's and refusing to eat the green ones. I got news for you racists... where all from the same damn place. And if my geography lessons remain sharp, I could swear that human life originated in Africa. So basically everyone is black/white/native american/whatever the hell came first. The skin pigment just depends on what part of the earth the people migrated too.

I have never felt there has been a bigger divide between the North and the South as there is right now.... oh yeah, The Civil War... forgot about that one. It's like this country is really two different countries. The people in the north feel the south is dumb uneducated hicks, and the south feels the north are spoiled gay liberals. Just look at the polls across the map, I don't recall them ever being so lopsided as they have been the past couple of years.

No comments: