Sunday, March 01, 2009

NES Classics - Flea Market Games




I remember the good old days... When I was a kid you could buy video games for a quarter. For a fucking quarter! Today they are what... 70 bucks? Back in the day I used to go to the flea markets.... They had these big bins of all used Nintendo games, no boxes, just the cartridges thrown into a big friggin bin. I was a dumb little kid who would analyze these cartridges, trying to decide if a game was good or not based on the sticker image. There was no internet... I couldn't just pull out my iPhone and get a video game review to see if it was worth buying. Nope.... I had to rely on a little thing called instinct. 

So when I pulled out "Mighty Bombjack" I thought I had hit the fucking lotto. What is this?! A Viking man dressed up as a superhero fucking up mummys in Egypt?! I'm in! Thats advertising 101 right there... look at that picture and the title of that game... Mighty BombJack... are you telling me you don't want to play that? This game turned out to be real shit... but hey, you cant win them all.

Then there was this gem...








When I pulled this one out of the bin I think I got my first hard on. There is a game called Chubby fucking Cherub and you play as a naked kid?! I couldn't hand my money to the guy fast enough. Why would anyone in their right mind sell a game where a naked cupid stops burglars with kisses?

My obsession with obscure Nintendo games didn't end when Super Nintendo became the new top dawg. There was a place called Funcoland that would sell used NES games too. When you went there they would hand you a newspaper that had just about every game ever for Nintendo listed with a price. I was now buying games based on name alone. While most kids were buying Mortal Kombat, I was buying games called "Pestterminator". I would ask the poor store clerk for the rarest of games and they would have to look through crates upon crates for a piece of shit I was going to buy for a dime.... I loved the good old days.

No comments: