Sunday, March 15, 2009

Music Video part deuce




So I was filming the newest music video for the Sons of 1984 called "Jungle". If you want an idea of what the look will be like go and watch Jay-Z's "99 Problems". Thats my inspiration big time for this rather short video (about 2 minutes). I was really proud with what we got filmed today, but we did have a pretty funny occurrence. I was very intent on getting into the cemetery and filming some stuff there. For whatever reason as soon as I song I envisioned people rapping on gravestones and what not. The beat just has this eerie ghastly feel to it, and I knew it would work perfectly in that setting. My one friend JP was spooked out about going into the cemetery and his girlfriend kinda got into his head by saying how creepy and odd it was. As soon as we pulled in and parked, he looks over to his right and the gravestone reads the huge last name of his girlfriend. Funny coincidence. 

Now I'll have you know that in the car is about 12 beers, a bottle of wine, and a lot of weed, so we are riding dirty. We then proceed to walk around by the graves with a radio blasting rap music while the performers are climbing on statues as I'm filming them. We made a vow to make not sure to film any names on the headstones, so we felt this was fine. I still stand by this feeling, a cemetery is a really cool place with some of the most gorgeous statues and sculptures I have seen. Its a shame people feel so weirded out by death and don't get too observe these beautiful works of art. It was a real cloudy and dreary day and it looked like we might be starring in "Night Of The Living Dead". The whole time we are doing this we are very cautious about being caught. We are moving pretty quickly and constantly observing our surroundings until I hear someone honking their horn non stop. I know that this is intended as a warning of some sort for us to get the hell out of there. We ignore it and continue filming until we get all our shots. We then go back to the car and go to leave... but the front gate is locked. So we drive to the back and that is locked too. It was a warning that the cemetery was closing, and that we better leave or we are going to be spending a night with the dead. At this point we started joking that we were about to become the newest "Blair Witch Project" as people would only find the camera and see footage of a rap video followed by us being ripped to shreds by zombies. This had all the makings of the beginning of a zombie flick. So basically I'm typing this from inside the cemetery right now, as we are stuck here until 9:30 the next morning.

I personally dont understand the concept of a cemetery. I don't want to be put underground in a wooden box in a field with a bunch of strangers. Fuck that. Put me in a urn and keep me in your house mother fucker. Put me by the HDTV. Or throw my shit in the ocean... You know I have this fear, that if you don't cremate and burn the body, giving yourself a Viking funeral, that the soul is captured in the body until it decomposes. You ever think of that? Even though I'm only 23 I often get asked do I want burial or cremation. I want neither. I want a little ol' practice we like to call mummification. Mummy my ass and put me in the corner of the living room. I will really add to the decor and be a great conversation starter.

No comments: