Wednesday, August 29, 2007

MJ At the Movies 3


Ok...So I just saw the new "Halloween" directed and written by Rob Zombie. This is a remake of the John Carpenter classic, and I'm assuming Zombie pays respect and throws a jab at critics, by repeately showing the original "Thing" movie, which Carpenter went on to remake. I guess thats Zombie poking fun at critics that hate remakes. Now what do I think of the film? (Spoiler Free) I like the way its shot...I also love the performance of Dr.Loomis done by McDowell. The movie dives into Michael past as a small child. We see his stripper mom, slutty sister, abusive step dad. Typical shit. He gets bullied at school. See the thing is here, he doesn't seem like a bad kid. He might kill rats sure, but everyone around him see's evil, and according to his shirt, he loves Kiss. So anyway he snaps and kills all the bad people in his life. This is where I started noticing the problem with this film. You will actually find yourself rooting for Michael Meyers. Throughout the film, he only kills two people who I guess you could say "didn't deserve it". He kills whores and sluts, guys trying to rape a girl, abusive fathers, loud talking truckers...he's very human in this film, which for me takes away from the "horror" element. I just could not be afraid of him, and felt bad for him. Maybe I'm just sick. Was it enjoyable? Yes. Was some of the dialogue terrible? Yup. If thats how teenage girls really talk, then guys aren't nearly as horny as chicks. Why is everyone SO horny in horror movies? Every line out of a teenagers mouth is about sex. Jeez...I just re-read that last sentence, am I getting old or what? Overall its worth seeing in theatres. It's not a masterpiece like the first, but a HELL of a lot better then this shit they've been passing as horror lately, like "Saw" and "Hostel" and all those new "Texas Chainsaw Massacres".

No comments: