Monday, January 12, 2009

Gran Torino



I deemed "The Wrestler" the best movie of 2008.... I stand by that claim, HOWEVER, the most entertaining film of 2008 is "Gran Torino". Or is that 2009? Whatever, it is one of my favorite films of all time... period. While watching it, there was not one second where I wasn't completely engrossed. The story is simple, and somewhat cliche, and might not be as deep as some want, but this film has so much damn heart. This film runs on heart and by the end you will be teary eyed, no matter how tough you think you are. This is a film that needed to come out. It should be required viewing for anyone under the age of 25. This film will teach you the true meaning of being a bad ass. Being a gang member wearing bandannas and flashing guns is not bad ass. This film also brings racism right to the forefront.... a topic no one wants to touch on. There are numerous funny racist jokes through out, which you will feel bad for laughing at, but in the end it shows the combining of two cultures. And the best part is Eastwood befriends a different race at the end, but his character is not pussified. He still says all his outrageous things, he just shows a little crack in his hard exterior shell. Eastwoods character is not a true "racist". He's all bark and no bite. This is like a lot of people I know. They might claim to dislike blacks and Asians and what not, and tell racist jokes, but they are not truly racist at all. They will be friendly and talk with any different race around.... they talk this way because I guess it was around them from their elders.

Let me speak on racism quick. I find stereotypes to be basically true for the most part. At the least the stereotypes that aren't just hateful and spiteful. Blacks are good athletes and Asians are smart. I've seen this numerous times, its true. I don't know why black people are offended by stereotypes.... your a great athlete and have a big dick.. thats an awesome rep to have. I know the others around too like blacks are lazy and all that, but I'm white and probably the most lazy person on earth....  so that stereotype is false. Another is that Asians can't drive, well that... wait.... that is true. The point is this... you should be proud of what makes you different. As a white person there is really no such thing as white pride. Instead, we take pride in our nationalities... like being Italian or Irish or whatever. I'm a mutt so I don't have this either. I wish I had a strong culture to be proud of... I guess I just have to rep America. Being racist is dumb and makes no sense. Our differences are what makes this country great. You might think you want everyone to be like you... but if you truly had that, you would realize how much it sucks. Except other cultures... embrace other cultures... experience other cultures... just don't try to BE another culture.... one of my favorite parts of "Torino" is when Clint chews out a wigger.

And let me add one other opinion... albeit a tad controversial. I think the evolution of the word "nigger" is one of the most genius things I have ever seen. You have a hateful word invented by the white man to put down and de-humanize black people. What do the black people do? They take the word as their own and de-venomnize it. Then... as the times change and some whites actually want to be black, they make the word their own 100 percent and it becomes offensive for whites to say it, but ok for them to say it. Genius. And the fact that many white people just can't let them have one word, pisses me off. If you are white do not say the word "nigga". I know you might listen to rap and what not, and you might have black friends who let you say it, but just don't. Don't. It sounds so ignorant and embarrasses me as a white person. That word is theirs, they earned it for the bullshit the race had to go through. However, as bad as blacks had it... Native Americans had it much worse and got fucked a lot harder. I really want to see Native Americans become embraced and respected more, but as a people they seem to passive and quiet.  The Native American culture is pretty awesome, and spiritually on an entirely different level. These were very intelligent people who had a respect and love for life, that is badly lacking in todays world. A big part of me wants to live in the woods as a Native American and smoke from a huge pipe and talk to spirits and shit. And you know what pisses me off... when people call them "Indians". Its so fucking dumb... the only reason they are called Indians is because of that dumb fuck Christopher Columbus thinking he was in India. I love finding out the truth about Columbus and how he was such a dumb dickhead. Columbus actually only landed in the Carribean Islands and took many Native Americans as slaves. Thats all he viewed them as, even though they were very generous and accommodating to him. Fuck Christopher Columbus. I can not believe we still celebrate that racist holiday. I would honestly vote for the removal of that day as a holiday.

No comments: